Monday, April 4, 2016

An Incredible Finish!

A year ago this week I started talking to Cal about Spring Break 2016.  Doug and I had decided many years ago that we'd let each of the Heinisch children pick the destination of our Spring Break trip their senior year.  I was a little hesitant to ask Cal.  In general he is not much for traveling, especially if we're driving.  I wasn't sure he'd have much interest.  We  had just returned from a successful visit to Purdue and IU, so it seemed like a good time to start thinking about it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he did have a destination in mind - Memphis and a return trip to Graceland.  All of us were definitely on board for that. It was one of our favorite trips of long ago.  We started looking at places in Tennessee that we would also like to visit when I mentioned that Memphis was exactly halfway to Houston the site of the 2016 Final Four.  Cal said he'd be interested and I entered the lottery for tickets.  With all of the hype of the Wisconsin win over an undefeated Kentucky team in 2015 neither Doug nor I  thought we'd get tickets and were thrilled to find out in September that we were wrong.

Fast forward a year and the start of our trip.  I was incredibly nervous.  Cal loves basketball, but I wasn't sure how excited anyone was to see Oklahoma vs. Villanova and Syracuse vs. North Carolina.  The Saturday games proved to be lackluster especially during the second part of the second half of each game.  We did enjoy the experience more than I ever thought we would, however.  Cam was the one most disappointed that we did not see a close game.  Cal assured him that Monday would be different.  Doug was skeptical that Villanova had a chance, but Cal never waivered.  

As much fun as Saturday was Monday was in a league of its own.  There were fireworks to start the game and celebrity sightings all around with Michael Jordan drawing the biggest crowd.  I didn't ask Cal, but I assume he more enjoyed seeing his favorite player being introduced - Shaquille O'Neal.  

The game was a close one from the beginning.  No one left early and when Marcus Paige threw up an off balanced  three to tie the game with 4.7 seconds to go the Capital One seat cushions went flying throughout the stadium.  Overtime was on the mind of most in attendance.  Instead we watched Villanova perfectly execute a play that Cal called the Christian Watford.  The stadium erupted and we were witnesses to an incredible  finish.  Couldn't ask for a better way to spend our last Spring Break with Cal. I teared up when I took the picture below.  Watching Villanova's unbelievable run through some of basketballs toughest opponents reminded me of raising Cal.  He is the epitome of perseverance.  It has been a blessing to watch this child turn into a wonderful young man full of life and promise.  Thankful for the memories we made this week.  I will miss Cal next year, but he's ready to soar and I will not stand in his way. Unlike the game, this is just the beginning of something incredible

No comments:

Post a Comment