Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Island of Misfits

Last year I noticed I had more and more students stay in from recess to hang out in my room.  Two years ago it was mostly just Meg and her friends, but it grew the next year considerably.  One day last year Roger stopped me and said that he noticed I had become the room where all of the "misfits" hang out.  He didn't mean it in a negative way and after that I always thought of my room as "The Island of Misfit Toys" from Rudolph.

No one rides an ostrich or shoots jelly from a squirt gun, but we definitely have our Charlie in the Box and the train with square wheels.  My room isn't really for the "misfits" but instead has become the safe haven for those who just need a break from the world.  I have my regulars, but on any given day a new face or two will show up.  Some become regulars and some are just there for a couple of days before they are ready to face middle school again.  I have games that they can play, a quiet place to do homework and for those who want to feel productive I even have copies they can make or crafts to do.  Sometimes they just need an ear and reassurance that they will make it through.

Since Cal has been coming to Milford I have noticed him in my Island of Misfits more and more adding to my theory that we are all just "misfits" trying to negotiate life.  They enjoy having him there and spend quite a bit of time helping him complete his project of the day or asking him questions.  One didn't know a lot about football and wanted his opinion on who would win the Super Bowl.  She listened to all of the information he had to say and helped him finish the circles he was cutting out for Mrs. Blauvelt.

My favorite moment with Cal joining our group happened today.  I had him take down my bulletin board in the hallway while I was getting some items ready to laminate.  As I left for the teacher's lounge one of my 6th graders had decided to help him.  When I got back I noticed the board wasn't quite done and they were gone.  I looked in my room and there they were discussing the art of making paper airplanes and how to get one to fly as far as possible.  After a few attempts and some tweaking to their project they were both back out in the hallway working on the bulletin board.

They finished before the bell rang and both were off to writing lab.  As Cal arrived to the cheers of "Shaggy" you're here, the 6th grader came back to tell me he had hidden his airplanes in the secret spot in my desk where he hides all of his treasurers.  That made my heart smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment