Tuesday, January 12, 2016

White Knuckles

We woke up this morning to several inches of snow, cold, blowing and drifting.  Wawasee and Bethany Christian both had two hour delays and several schools closed.  Doug called once he got to Bristol and told me to take Cameron, so we headed out in plenty of time to get to school.  The drive was nerve wracking.  There were drifts on CR 29 and the van caught a patch of snow that made us slide.  At one point Cameron noticed that we were following someone going 25 mph and questioned if that was necessary.  For the first time ever I told him, yes it was.  It took an extra 10 minutes just as Doug predicted, but we made it safe and sound.

Once I dropped Cam off I headed to Milford.  State Road 15 was clear, but there were white out conditions at several open fields.  I was worried about the overpass, but there wasn't enough snow to cause any problems there.  The entire time I drove this morning I thought of our trip home from the Westview basketball game last Valentine's Day.  I became even more thankful for Sharon and her bus driving skills.  It also gave me better perspective.  As bad as today was it was nothing compared to the blizzard that afternoon.

Meg and I picked Cam up from school.  CR 29 still wasn't plowed well, but we made it without any problems.  We already had scheduled piano, so we decided to try it.  Doug picked Cam up from there at 4:45 for tennis in Warsaw and by the time Meg and I left the roads were a lot better.  We made it to Syracuse on State Road 15 and US 6 driving the speed limit or a little under for the first time today.  Thankful for the break from old man winter.  As Meg said on the way home, "I always forget how bad winter is until it comes back."  We survived it, however, and now we're one step closer to Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment