Monday, December 28, 2015

Ice Storm, Downed Tree & No Power

This morning we woke up to an ice storm.  Doug said that it really started after he got into work, so he had no problem getting there.  Cal left Cameron's around 9 a.m. which was also before the roads became icy.  It took me awhile to get to the Brower's as North Webster was worse than Syracuse by the time I left.  We grabbed Meg on the way home as well and I decided to cancel piano.  Everyone was disappointed as they really wanted to go to that and Olympia for lunch, but they understood as it was not nice outside at the time.

Around 12:30 I sat down to work on my photo calendar and realized that the internet was out.  I was disappointed as I had set aside time to do so today, but that didn't compare to the next outage that we encountered.  Around 1:30 Cal, Meg and Cam heard a loud crash and realized that the tree in the yard diagonally from us had come down in the ice storm.  We were floored that it fell as it was one large tree.  Unfortunately when it did it also took out the power lines with it.  The weight of it all broke the utility pole in our backyard in half as well.  Thus, our power outage began.

I called Kosciusko REMC right away, but I knew that this was going to be a bigger project than just a downed wire.  Our neighbors hoped that since it was a live wire that we would move up on the priority list, but as the afternoon wore on I became more skeptical.  Cal and Brett stayed here while I went to North Webster for Meg's haircut.  We thought about cancelling, but the roads weren't too bad.  Cam headed over to my Mom's and by 4:30 Brett, Meg and I had joined him.  I took all of our portable chargers and the laptop also in case we were going to be out of power for awhile.

Doug took Meg to tennis tonight and exercised there.  I folded laundry in the dark, which wasn't too bad until I had to match socks.  Cal and Hannah Marie went bowling as it was one of the few places open.  I had a library board meeting this evening.  We had to transfer money before the 1st of January and our director was going to be unavailable the next three days.  We were nervous for awhile that we would not have a quorum, but thankfully Randy drove in from Fort Wayne especially to be at it.

Once the evening became dark we realized that we were not getting power tonight.  The Heinisch children all ate at Mom's, and Doug and I went to Huntington's along with everyone else who was without power.  We played cards at Mom's until ten and then Doug returned to stay at our house.  He had showered at the racket club and we left the fireplace on, so staying here wasn't too bad.  The rest of us spent the night at Mom's.  We were thankful that they had electricity and did not mind the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment