Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veteran's Day

Today was Veteran's Day and as proud as I am of my Grandpa for serving in World War II, I just couldn't muster the energy to attend the school's program this morning.  Cal ended up with a headache too and missed the high school one as well.  I know everyone means well, but the programs seem long and forced.  Cameron's school instead discussed Veteran's Day and presented information on what it means to be a veteran.  I like that philosophy a lot more than listening to a choir sing or TAPS being badly played by a middle school band student.  Meg did say that her program had some excitement in it.  A boy three rows behind her threw up all over the students in front of him.  The choir didn't even notice and just kept on singing.  She also reminded me about the white table ceremony that Mrs. Fiscus always does with the students.  That is impressive.

I do like what the high school decided to do this week.  They set a goal of raising $400 to send a veteran's family member to DC with him/her to see the World War II, Vietnam or Korean War monument.  The money goes to a national organization that assists with this program.  I know that Paw Paw and Granny would have loved doing that.  The World War II monument was impressive and I wish it would have been built ten years before it was so that we could have taken him there.  Although he could not go so see it, I am proud that we took the Heinisch children to visit it and have retold the many stories about his time in the service.  You didn't have to know my Grandpa long before you realized how much the 52nd Engineer Corp meant to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment