Tuesday, September 1, 2015

"You Cannot Be Serious!"

Ok, so Cal didn't really knock all of the glasses of water off or the scorers table while yelling "You cannot be serious!" after a bad call, but I sure was waiting for him too.  Tonight he had a match at Whitko and from the beginning I could tell that he was mad about something.  It only escalated when his opponent started making questionable calls and challenging the call of every serve.  The fact that they were losing to a lesser team just put the icing on the cake.

As Cal and Tim took a break after the first set I wondered to myself if I should say something to him.  There was no reason for them to be losing.  He was mad, but that was making his play worse.  While I was contemplating what to do, Vince came over and asked me if Cal was swearing at the opponents.  I honestly never heard him say anything and I doubt they could either as he was mumbling most of the time.  I did tell Vince, however, that he was hitting the balls back to them as hard as he could and was definitely annoyed with something or someone.

Vince talked to both of them at break.  I was glad that I didn't have to.  Cal and Tim came out on fire and didn't look back taking the second set 6-0.  The third was a little closer, but overall they looked like a different doubles pair and played very well clinching the team win after two hours of play.  I was happy that they did well after their first set.  Although no where near the temper I did joke with Doug afterward that I was sure McEnroe showed up to play with Tim today.  Luckily, John left after the first set and Cal could finish out!

No comments:

Post a Comment