Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Birds

This summer we made a bigger effort than normal to put out the bird feeders and keep them filled.  I even bought a bird bath for them to use.  Meg doesn't like that the birds wake her up early now, but they have really been enjoying the feeder we have on the front tree.  We still haven't gotten any finches to come, but we are working on it.

I noticed the squirrels were getting into one of the front feeders a few weeks ago, so I bought a long wire to hang the feeder from and so far it is working pretty well.  Today I saw one was in the barn feeder as well, but so far he hasn't been back since I scared him off.  The barn feeder was in the backyard until this weekend.  I was filling it a lot, but never really saw many birds on it.  I thought maybe they were coming in the morning or the wind was knocking out the feed.  I knew a squirrel couldn't make it up the metal pole, so I wasn't quite sure what was eating all of the birdseed.  Today Doug figured it out.  As he was watching from the living room he saw the chipmunks climbing up the pole.   Once we moved it to the front they thought the safer bet was to just eat the feed that the birds knocked to the ground or was spilled when we filled it.

To be fair to the squirrels and chipmunks I have not completely forgotten about them.  Doug drove two nails into a tree stump we left in the backyard several years ago when we had a dead tree removed.  From there he added squirrel corn and both the squirrels and chipmunks have been enjoying that.  It has been fun to watch them all enjoy our yard as much as we do.  Now if I could get the finches to come it would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment