Friday, July 10, 2015

Being Nice

This past month I have realized that being nice shouldn't mean being mistreated.  Meg tried to tell me this a year ago and I didn't listen as well as I should have.  My thought was always that we can't hurt others feelings and should be nice.  I have learned, however, that being nice doesn't mean inviting others to events just to ensure you do not hurt their feelings.  It is OK to leave someone off of the list that isn't nice in return and there is a graceful way to do so.

Meg understood that before I did and I wished I would have followed her advice.  I think Meg would have had to put up with a lot less drama the past three months or so if I would have let her decide who to invite when or where.  She knew better who was her true friends and who wasn't.  She knew she didn't have to invite someone just to be nice.  She just had to be quiet about her invitation list and be sure to respect other's feelings when they found out that they weren't invited.  Being honest would have been the best policy rather than encouraging a friendship that just wasn't a good one to begin with just to be nice.

I am frustrated for Meg that she has had to deal with the cattiness that goes along with being a girl.  She didn't do anything to deserve the way she has been treated.  Jody told me that it is a lesson that every girl has to learn - some girls are just mean - and the earlier Meg learns how to deal with it the happier she will be in the long run.  I am proud of Meg for how she has handled it all.  She has found out who her true friends are and enjoys getting together with them.  I am ever impressed with her confidence.  It may be a little rattled right now, but overall she is still the same beautiful person that she always has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment