Sunday, March 29, 2015

Welcome to Munchkin Land

Tonight I talked Doug and Cam into watching The Wizard of Oz with me.  It is a movie that I remember watching every Spring and always enjoyed it, especially Dorothy and the Scarecrow.  I have to admit, however, that there was one part that always scared me.  I think I was in third or fourth grade before I would stay in the room when this scene came on.  I know for most children the wicked witch or the flying monkeys would make them cover their eyes.

Not me, however, I had absolutely no problem with either of these.  It was actually the Munchkins that sent me screaming to my Mother.  I just couldn't understand how people could be that little.  I also didn't realize that only their shoes curled up and not their toes or that the flowers growing out of their heads were just part of their costume.  The Lollipop Guild was the worst for me.  Their scrunched up faces and creepy voices were all I could handle.

Doug and I were married several years before I thought about telling him about my irrational fear of the inhabitants of Munchkinland.  Now he and the Heinisch children make fun of me for it and I am alright with that.  I deserve it.  I am happy to report, however, that I can now watch the movie and sing "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" without hiding my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment