Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Erin Go Braugh!

Today we celebrated St. Patrick's Day in my FACS classes.  We started the adventure yesterday as 5th and 6th grade played St. Patrick's Kahoot.  Most of the students in our area do not have much knowledge of St. Patrick or of his significance to Ireland or the Christian faith.  They also do not realize that Irish Americans celebrate St. Patrick's day all over the country with parades and such.  I enjoy bringing that part of history into my classroom, especially for lose who do not venture out much farther than the town of Milford.

Today the 7th and 8th grade finished and taste tested their St. Patrick's Day treats.  The 7th grade made Irish Dirt Pudding.  The Heinisch family tried it at home last night and really like it.  The 7th grade gave it a big thumbs up and I will try it again with that age next year.  The 8th grade made Lucky Charm treats - a version of Rick Krispy treats.  Those were not as good.  The cereal is a different texture and I believe it needed more marshmallows than the recipe called for.  The students did all finish off the treats, but I don't think I will repeat that recipe next year.  In sticking with the orange and green theme the 5th and 6th grade made orange julius, which is always a big hit.

I do enjoy St. Patrick's Day and was very glad that Doug, Meg, Cam and I were able to go to Buffalo Wild Wings to celebrate ourselves.  Cal didn't join us, but instead went with Jayce and Sam to Ihop to have free pancakes in honor of the day.  I hope one day that we are able to visit Ireland.  I believe that would be a fantastic adventure.  Until then I will keep honoring the memory of St. Patrick at home and school.  A blessed saint he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment