Sunday, February 8, 2015

I Like Being Overcommitted

A couple of weeks ago I talked to Meg about being overcommitted.  In a short period of time she was to compete in the ISMAA piano and clarinet competition as well as the county spelling bee.  This along with her school work, basketball and social commitments seemed like a lot to me.  She listened as I talked, but then finally said, "Mom, I like being overcommitted."

I realized when she said that that she gets that honestly.  I have definitely found myself overcommitted this past year and Doug has always liked to be involved in as much as possible.  Meg handled her obligations well.  She earned a silver in both the piano and clarinet solos, practiced hard at basketball, received an A on her Geometry quiz and had time left to hang out with her friends at Bittersweet and even tobogganing with Kaitlin's youth group this afternoon.

At first Meg was a little disappointed yesterday when she was given a silver rating.  Once we started the drive home, however, she said, "I've been thinking.  Some of the students today have made music their life.  They have practiced for weeks and months, and that is great for them.  I know I could have done that as well and maybe earned a gold.  I am happy, though.  I really only practiced my piece for four days plus did so much more.  A silver is good enough for me."  What a great attitude to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment