Monday, January 12, 2015

Repeat Spelling Bee Champion

Today was the Milford school spelling bee.  It was supposed to be Friday, but with the cancellation they moved it.  Meg used all of the extra time off from school to study.  She would practice with me, Brett, Doug, my Dad and even with Jared via FaceTime.  I know on Friday alone she said she spelled words for two hours.  Even on the way to school we went through pronunciations of words on the "easy"side of the list to learn that mussed is a homophone for must.  

All of the extra studying paid off as Meg once again brought home the championship trophy.  That is not to say that she didn't have tough competition.  It was obvious at the end that four of the students had put a lot of time and effort into learning the words.  One misspoke on a letter, but when it got down to three it became intense.  I never watched Meg spell one word.  I could hear her as I paced behind the bleachers, but I couldn't bare to watch.  Meg didn't have to win to prove anything to me.  I know she studied and put a lot of effort into it.  I also know that one missed letter or a slip of the tongue and it is over.  

Jared did well also finishing runner up to Meg in the 7th and 8th grade grouping.  The second place overall trophy went to a 5th grader once again.  This girl had obviously studied as well, but when they got down to two Mrs. Fiscus choses words off of an alternative list of approved words that the students had not seen.  The 5th grader missed one and Meg spelled her championship word "parachute."  I was elated and very proud of her.  Ever since she won last year she wanted to win again - off to the county bee!

No comments:

Post a Comment