Monday, January 19, 2015

Martin Luther King Junior

Today was Martin Luther King Junior Day.  I took the opportunity to discuss his life with my FACS classes.  Over the years I have come to realize that students really cannot understand segregation and integration.  The concept almost seems unreal to them.  We can discuss separate drinking fountains and racial discrimination, but in their lifetime the population of white people in the US has fallen below fifty percent.

Since I had the majority of the boys in the middle school today due to the swimming and ukulele schedule, I decided that the best way to show them integration was to view the movie "Remember the Titans."  From the moment we started it they were hooked.  I forgot what a great story it really is.  The boys can relate to football and practice.  There is also humor in it which makes the story even more enjoyable to watch.  Hopefully, we will learn and have fun.  Either way today at least sparked their interest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment