Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day

Today was Veteran's Day and our school celebrated the day with schoolwide program.  Meg was part of the remembrance table ceremony once again and I was extremely proud that she was chosen to participant.  She takes the role seriously and understands the price that some soldiers pay for our freedom.

Yesterday I talked with classes about the concept of Veteran's Day.  I showed them a picture of my Grandfather in full army dress during World War II.  I explained to them that he is my favorite veteran and just because he didn't die during his service doesn't mean that he did not have to sacrifice for the freedom of our country.  I shared a couple of my grandfather's stories and explained his role in the 52nd Engineer Corp.
After my last class left for lunch I had some time to reflect on his my Grandpa's time in the army.  He did not enlist, but accepted his role once he was drafted.  He worked hard in the South Pacific and along the way created some great memories that he shared with my brother and I whenever we were with them.  The friendships that he developed during that time lasted a lifetime.  He gave up years of his life to serve his country and never complained to us once about that.  I am proud to say that my Grandfather is a veteran and today I was glad to celebrate the memory of his service.

No comments:

Post a Comment