Thursday, November 20, 2014

"Mom, I think I broke my ankle again!"

Those were the horrifying words that greeted me when I answered Cal's phone call this evening.  He and my Dad were already on their way to the hospital when he called.  We were just returning from Warsaw, so Doug and I were able to catch up with them before they got too far.  As we sat in the ER I started to evaluate the situation.  Cal had been complaining that the balls of his feet were hurting.  He thought they were blisters, but now they were slightly discolored.  Because of the pain he was running on the outside of his feet and that was how he rolled his ankle.

The ER doctor right away said that the pain on his feet were from bunions.  We felt better about that as it was a lot better news than the stress fractures that Cal was worried about.  She also said that there was no fracture on the x-ray and his ankle actually looked completely healed from last fall.  Thus, they put him in an air splint and gave him 800 mg of Ibuprofen.  He has to be on crutches until Monday and we will need to follow up with the orthopedic doctor next week.

Although this was extremely annoying for Cal and I know it hurt, overall this sounds a lot better than last year.   We are also more prepared for an ankle injury this year already having crutches, a boot and ice packs ready.  Cal still plans to go to school tomorrow morning and will meet with Nick after school.  My fingers are crossed that this is just a small hiccup for him early in the season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment