Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Soccer

Tonight Meg and I went to the first round of girls high school sectionals.  Doug's team drew Plymouth in the first round.  It had been awhile since we caught a varsity game.  It looked like we might not get to see this one as it poured down rain the entire time we were driving to Warsaw.  The weather cleared, however, right as we arrived.

Meg and I sat together the first half of the game, a little away from the crowd.  Several of Doug's parents were extremely loud.  We finally had to move completely away from them as they were screaming at the girls.  I don't like loud parents, especially if what they are yelling isn't what I know Doug wants his girls to do.  They seemed to quiet down or I just got used to it after awhile.  The first half was exciting and Wawasee played some great defense.  The score was 0-0 at the break.

There was a controversial call at the beginning of the second half which gave Plymouth a goal.  From our angle it sure looked like the goalie saved the goal, but the sideline judge did not agree.  The girls did not fold, however, and played very well.  One missed trap led to a second Plymouth goal and that is where the score ended.  Meg and I had a lot of fun.  She hung out with Olivia and I sat with the Schwartz family.

Although tonight's loss ended the girls season, Doug was very happy with this evening.  The girls improved greatly and he has a lot of interest for indoor soccer this winter.  I was very proud of him tonight.  He has worked hard to develop this program and it is definitely starting to show.  Next year he has all of his starters back except for one plus there are at least five eighth graders interested in playing.  I am sad that they lost as it would have been an awesome upset.  I am, however, glad to have him home a little more for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment