Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Paw Paw

Today would have been my Paw Paw's birthday.  Even after seven year there are still so many times that I wish that I could call him or stop by just to listen to his stories.  I have questions that I would love to ask him about his childhood, my childhood or just everyday advice.  The best parts of my youth were spent in his garage listening and learning.  Everyone thought he was a man of little words, but they were wrong.  He just had to be interested in what was being discussed and needed a quiet, attentive audience.

Doug reminds me of my Grandpa in many ways.  He too is quiet, but has quite a bit to say if you listen.  He is passionate about his family and ever patient.  He gives great advice, but doesn't chide you if you do not follow it.  He is strong and dependable, just like Crap Pa was.  

This weekend when Doug said to me, "Northern is playing Northwestern and my first thought was to call my Mom."   I understood exactly what he meant.  Still so much to say and ask, but the answers will have to wait.  Glad that we have each other to keep their memories alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment