Thursday, August 14, 2014

Tennis Scrimmage

I went to West Noble after school for Cal's first tennis scrimmage of the season.  I was very nervous as I drove over.  I haven't watched Cal play tennis since he broke his ankle last fall.  I know he is a great player on his team, but I didn't know how he would move around the court.  Cal really prefers playing singles and one has to be able to cover a lot of ground in those matches.  

As I watched the first round unfold I realized that no one would even be able to tell he had broke his ankle.  He moved very well and dominated his opponent for the majority of the match.  His serve has really improved and he has become a very smart player on the court.  He played the number one position for the first set and then the number two for the next two.  He was the only player on the Varsity to win, and he looked great.  

I drove home tonight relieved.  I  do not care if Cal wins or loses, but I do care that he is healthy and happy.  He looked both tonight.  I listened to several of his teammates tell me how good they believe he is and how impressed they are with his work ethic.  Nothing could make me prouder than that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment