Friday, May 2, 2014

Pets

Cam's friend Cade had a horrible day yesterday.  His beloved dog had to be put to sleep.  Cade's sister, Hope, is in my 8th grade class and she shared with me the details of Cade's grief last night.  Her rendition of the story definitely brought tears to my eyes.

 As I relayed the story to Doug he talked of the time he had to bury his beloved "Tenspeed."  It made me think of Cosmo and Apollo.  I cannot believe how much enjoyment two little "pigs" can bring to a family.  No matter how my day is going, they are happy to see me when I walk in the door.  They greet me with a squeak, and if I don't get them their carrots fast enough, the whistling starts.  As I walk through the room, their heads peer over their tubs to check out what is going on.  Cal reminds me almost daily that they can't understand what I am saying.  I realize that, but still love pretending they do.

I know that one day the "pigs" will no longer be part of our family.  Much as Cade felt last night, we will mourn the loss of our pets.  Tonight I will feed them an extra carrot and scratch their heads a couple of more times.  Even though Cal doesn't believe me, I know that their extra loud squeak says "Thank You!"

No comments:

Post a Comment