Thursday, February 13, 2014

Happy 19th Birthday Brett!!

Today was Brett's nineteenth birthday and I spent some time reflecting on life with our first born.  It has been such an amazing journey.  I didn't realize when I was pregnant with him, how much Doug's and my life would change once we had him.  Parenting is a lot of work, but has to be one of the most rewarding experiences life can give you.  I have heard so many parents say that the first born is the "experiment child."  I know there is some truth to that.  We have learned so much from the first days that we brought Brett home.

Brett was the first to go to school, the first to have friends, the first to read, the first to drive, the first to graduate, the first to go to college, etc.   We made mistakes and Brett loves to tell me in jest that I have screwed his life up forever.  He realizes, as much as we have, that life is full of mistakes and challenges.  The only way to ensure that nothing bad ever happens is to never take risks.  Thus, I am extremely proud of Brett for the "risks" he has been taking.  Tonight he will travel to Washington D.C. with his Young Americans for Liberty group to attend a conference.   What an awesome experience this will be.  Yes, I am worried about them traveling with the winter storm advisories and such, but I would never hold him back.  He is a responsible person and I am very proud to call him son!

No comments:

Post a Comment