Sunday, February 16, 2014

DC

Brett called this afternoon to say that they were leaving for Bloomington after a whirlwind trip to DC.  I marveled at his posts and pictures on Facebook throughout his three day journey.  My favorite picture of him was taken with John Stossel a Fox News show host.  I believe Brett's may have been the one with one of his favorite politicians, Jeffrey Tucker.  Much as his idol, Brett even wore his bowtie for the events.  I know that most of his friends and family back home may not know any of the authors, politicians, or celebrities that he met over the weekend, but in his eyes they are the rock stars of his world.

As I thought back of Brett's journey through his freshmen year of college, I marvel at the self-sufficient young man he has become.  He does not call us in a panic or for advice.  He calls to let us know what he is up to.  He has made friends, joined several groups, become involved in his church, helped his roommate through an awful experience, interviewed for an internship, and now journeyed to DC to attend a conference without much help from us.  Although I miss having him here, I love the man he is becoming.  I appreciate him including us.  Can't wait to see him next Saturday and hear it all in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment