Thursday, January 30, 2014

What a Difference a Week Makes!

Last week I watched in a panic as my 7th grade girls basketball team played possibly the worst game that I have ever witnessed.  It was as if we forgot everything that we had been working on.  I tried calling time outs, talking with the players and finally raising my voice, but nothing helped.  I was sure that I was the worst coach ever.  Doug, however, listened to my concerns and had some great ideas of what we could do to improve.  He offered to come in and help, so yesterday we took him up on it and I am so glad that we did.

Tonight we had a game at Bremen in which we started slow, but this time none of us panicked.  Thanks to the hard work the girls put in at practice and Doug's suggestions, we had a game plan.  Thus, our 13-2 deficit didn't turn into a slaughter.  Instead we fought back, played aggressive and lost a heartbreaker 26-23.  Meg even had a shot with 12 seconds left that would have cut their lead to 1, but it just rimmed out.  Our crowd was sparse, but those in attendance and the girls on our bench drowned out the cheers of the Lyons fans.  Not sure any of us had a voice when it was all over.

We followed this game with two quarters of a "B" game.  The girls once again came up short, but were aggressive and played hard.  I was so proud of both teams.  Win or lose, they did everything they were asked to do and had a lot of fun along the way.  I couldn't ask for anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment