Monday, January 13, 2014

Spelling Bee Champion

Today was the school wide spelling bee at Milford Middle School.  Meg had qualified before Christmas break by finishing in the top four of her class spelling bee.  Over break we decided to study one row of words a day and then study any words that she missed the week before the bee.  Our strategy must have worked, because today Meg was crowned the spelling bee champion.

I was very nervous as the spelling bee approached.  When I was in middle school the spelling bee was a very big deal to me.  I was the first one out in sixth grade, but was crowned champion in eighth.  I knew that it would be a lot of work for one of my children to win and I never wanted to put that kind of pressure on any of the Heinisch children.  Brett and Cal had both finished third during one of their middle school years without doing much studying.  Meg said all along that she just wanted to qualify, because then she wouldn't have to sit in the crowd and watch.  I am so thrilled that she took the time to study.  Today was definitely one of my favorites as I watched her hard work pay off.

This year more students went out early than in past years.  I believe it was a combination of more challenging words and nerves.  One of Meg's friends even missed the word lawyer by horribly miss spelling it starting with lo . . .  As I watched the bee unfold sitting in the middle of the seventh grade section, the excitement grew.  Quickly, Meg was one of only three 7th and 8th graders left.  Once the two boys went out and I realized that Meg would be named the 7th and 8th grade champion I relaxed a little.  After several rounds, Meg and two fifth graders were the only ones left.  The seventh grade had nicknamed one of the fifth graders "the dictionary" early on, and I could see why.  It was very obvious that she had studied and practiced.  As the bee continued it also became very obvious that Meg had studied as well.  Her friends were very impressed and wondered if I had "fed her a dictionary for breakfast."

It only took two rounds for the third contestant to misspell a word, so that Meg and "the dictionary" were left.  They then preceded to spell at least five more words a piece.  Meg easily spelled words such as lanai and prognosticate, but her opponent followed suit.  Finally, whether nerves kicked in or just an error in spelling, "the dictionary" missed ostracism.  Meg then received the word monochrome to win.  I felt like Snoopy in "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown."  I wanted to jump up and down and cheer.  I knew Meg could easily spell that word.  We had joked about it and me mispronouncing it as I had so many other words when I helped her practice.  I remembered, however, that I was a teacher and must set a good example.  The seventh grade had already started to cheer when the fifth grader misspelled her word.  If they had to quiet down, then I had to set an example.  I also remembered how excited Snoopy was only to have Charlie Brown spell beagle "beagel."

Meg, however, did not disappoint any of us rooting for her.  She nailed monochrome in a very confident manner.  The crowd cheered and both girls shook hands.  I was so incredibly proud.  I had considered sitting out of the bee as I really struggle with watching it.  I feel horrible for everyone who has to sit down because they misspeak or just become to nervous to think.  I am so glad that I talked myself into staying.  I would have been proud of Meg whether she went out first or won, but it sure was a lot more fun winning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment