Sunday, January 12, 2014

If I Could Be Like Cal

Today Meg came up from the basement and said, "Mom, Cam's in the basement playing basektball pretending to be a player returning from being out for a year with an ankle injury."  Meg and I both laughed.  We knew exactly why Cam was doing that and why he left the game early Friday night.  Cam absolutely idolizes his big brother Cal.  Don't get me wrong, he loves Meg and Brett dearly, but his hero has always been Cal.  So much so he couldn't stay for the Varsity game Friday night as Cal once again sat out of the JV game.  His little heart couldn't also take watching Alex get beat in the same evening.  He missed a great ballgame according to all that did stay, but he and I had fun playing with Apollo and Cosmo and catching updates on the radio.  One day Cal will be back out on the court and it won't hurt so much.  Just isn't a lot of fun right now.

This isn't the first time that Cam has made a comment that made me realize how much he looks up to Cal.  When I asked him what sports he wanted to play in high school, he said, "I know I'll play basketball and golf, but I think I'll play soccer my freshmen year and then switch to tennis my sophomore year."  I love watching their relationship develop.  Everyone needs an older brother to look up to.  I sure thought that my brother was wonderful when I was eight.  Glad that Cameron does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment