Monday, December 9, 2013

Ankle Injury #2

Doug called on his way home from work to let me know that the trainer from the high school had contacted him.  Cal injured his ankle once again, this time while going up for a shot during a drill.  Unfortunately, it will knock him out of tomorrow's lineup, and he will be heading in for physical therapy right after school again.

I asked Doug if his heart sank when he saw Nick's number show up on his phone.  He said that it didn't.  Doug was a little anxious before he called me.  He realized that I would probably be upset.  However, after watching Cal play on Saturday night, I realized that the ankle was not fully recovered.  The injury also isn't as severe, so the time Cal has to sit out should be less.  The goal now is to make sure he is 100% by golf season.

The phone call reminded Doug of the time many years ago when my Dad lost Cal at Blizzard Beach.  Cal was only seven and they were on the lazy river.  Once Cal got ahead of my Dad, he stopped and got out to go looking for him.  My Dad thought Cal was ahead of him, so he kept on floating down the river.  The rest of us were unaware that he was missing.  When we reached my Dad, he said, "Now don't panic, but I've lost Cal."  Those words seem funny now, but at the time I was extremely panicked.  Luckily, Cal could figure out where we had put our towels and made it back to me, but not without being lost for forty-five minutes.

So all in all, this ankle injury has not been fun, but Cal is handling it very well.  I hate watching him sit out from playing a sport that he loves.  Overall, I would much rather get the message that his ankle is hurt again, than he is missing.  My favorite quote of the night actually came from Cal this time.  When he limped in the back door, he said, "Mom, I injured my ankle again.  Now you can't be mad at me about my precalculus grade!!"  Love the humor of a fifteen year old boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment