Sunday, November 3, 2013

The World of Politics

Brett joined a group during his first couple of weeks at IU called Young Americans for Liberty.  It is a collection of IU students who believe, much as Brett does, that there has to be a better political answer than the U.S. has right now.  The majority of the members are Libertarian and so far Brett loves being part of this group.

In September members carpooled to Terre Haute and the Indiana State campus to hear Senator Ron Paul talk.  Although Brett felt that Ron Paul was a little full of himself, he thoroughly enjoyed the evening and the message that was conveyed.  This weekend's event, however, was even bigger.  IUPUI's group of Young Americans invited the Bloomington members for an evening of political speeches with a social hour to follow.  Brett attended too many speeches to list and had his picture taken with several influential politicians.  Once again the group carpooled to the event and I can just imagine the conversation on the way back to IU - full of the enthusiasm for change that so many young college students believe in, a hope for the future, and the energy to stand up for shared opinions.

Brett texted me when he was on the way home.  His exact words were "It was awesome!"  He posted his pictures.  I didn't know one of the speakers, but they were very important to Brett and I was so happy for him.  I called him today and he said he was taking it easy, studying for classes, catching up on some much needed sleep, and might even go to the movie "The Conjuring" later.  I told him that I ran into one his friends today.  She told me that she was so glad that Brett liked IU as much as he does and loves reading about all of his adventures.  I totally agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment