Saturday, November 9, 2013

Change is Not All Bad

As I have watched the Heinisch children grow over the years, I have learned to grow with them.  We are now in a new stage with one of them.  Friends and girlfriends are becoming the priority.  Time at home with Mom, Dad and the rest of the Heinisch siblings is not.  Although, this stage came on a little quicker than I thought it would, I do not dwell on the days gone by.  No one wants to stay a child forever and I believe it would be selfish of me to pine away wishing that they would all stay babes in arms.

This new found independence has led to some great conversations between Doug and I about our own youth - first dates, making the team, family time, and growing up.  We did not meet until we were college students (sometimes I forget that as it seems that we have always been together.)  Thus, there is a part of our youth that we do not share.  Even though Doug and I had very different high school lives, watching our children pass through the same experiences that we both did has brought us closer together.  It has also helped us parent the Heinisch children.

It was strange last night to drop Cal off at a girl's home.  It was for Meg and Cameron as well.  When Cam asked me where Cal was, I told him.  He looked at me and said, "No, seriously, is he with Jayce or Alex?"  Cameron could not sleep until he knew Cal was safe at home.  Not sure what he thought was going to happen, but I have come to realize that the older boys growing up has been harder on the younger two than anyone else.  Life happens, however, and I think the best way to handle the changes is to hold on and enjoy the ride.    

No comments:

Post a Comment