Thursday, November 28, 2013

Black Friday - A Day Early

Since we had the traditional turkey dinner on Sunday with Doug's parents, we decided to make lasagna the staple on this Thanksgiving day.  This seemed fine with my Dad as he claimed several times that 90% of all Americans hate turkey anyway.  I stayed out of the conversation as I had hit my limits in turkey eating sixteen years ago when I was pregnant with Cal.  Something about the fat on the turkey turned my off that day and I have not been able to stomach it since.  Cal and Brett, however, did point out to my Dad that turkey sandwiches are offered everyday on their high school cafeteria lunch, so someone has to like turkey.  I think then someone mention that 79% of stair accidents happen on the stairs and the conversation ended in laughter.

We had an enjoyable afternoon.  Brett was able to take a few Michael Myers pictures revolving around the Thanksgiving table.  Cal worked on an IU puzzle and joined in several games of pool.  I talked everyone into playing Pit - a new family favorite.  Meg spent time on the computer.  My Dad retold a story that I had heard many times over about a cat, flea powder and a pillowcase that does not end well for the cat.  I didn't realize that the rest of the Heinisch family had not heard the story.  Even Doug had a hard time composing himself after that one.

The late afternoon conversation revolved around our plans for the rest of the day.  Some wanted to see a movie - Frozen.  Others wanted to hangout at Grandma's and Meg and I desperately wanted to join in the Thanksgiving Day - Black Friday shopping that was beginning at 8 p.m.  After a lot of deliberation, a plan was made - Cal and Cam were going to hang out at Grandma's playing Uno with them.  Doug, Brett, Meg and I were going to head to University Park Mall.

Don't know what was more fun, watching Cal carry his puzzle over to his Grandma's or watching all of the people at the mall.  Either way it ended up being a great evening.  Meg was able to find some awesome clothes and headphones at Hollister's all of which were 50% off, plus, Chilly, the snowman, on sale at the Disney Store.  I absolutely love what I bought at Yankee Candle, all on sale as well.  Brett, of course, bought a book, and with Doug's 20% off, also got a great deal.  The only disappointment of the night was the lack of restaurants open on this busy evening.  Luckily, leftovers a plenty awaited us at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment