Saturday, September 7, 2013

Summer Sun

For the first time all summer I finally have some color.  Normally, by September there is evidence that I spent my time away from school outside.  Over the years I have always picked on Doug for being "milk boy", but this year I was the one who started the school year white as a ghost.  I did not try to avoid the sun or wear layers of sunscreen.  I think my paleness is a direct result of the cool, wet summer we had.  The Heinisch children did a lot less swimming than they ever have, so I wasn't poolside to watch over them.  Cal played in golf tournaments, but didn't need me to walk along, and Cameron asked my Mom to follow him.  Thus, I believe that I could have rented my ghoulish face out to the haunted house that will soon become the primary attraction of the Halloween season.

That all changed yesterday as I headed outside bright and early for Cameron's soccer game.  Although, still a little cool, the sun was brightly shining and a warm day was promised.  After watching his team easily win the first game of the LYC fall season, I headed to the high school to become a spectator at the Wawasee Varisty Tennis Duals.  The sun did not disappoint me there, although, I am sure the boys were wishing that it would spend more time behind the clouds.  By the time I left after 3 p.m. I had raccoon eyes from my sunglasses and the warm glow of a day in the sun.

It was a great afternoon, not only for sun, but also for Wawasee tennis.  The boys finished second in the four team dual.  That is something that hasn't happened for quite awhile.  Cal won all three of his matches at number three singles.  He was the only Wawasee player to do so.  It was exciting to see him play and beat several worthy opponents.  The third match was the roughest for him as he showing signs of wear from the first two battles.  Doug's soccer games were over in time for him to see Cal emerge victorious.  His coaches and parents were very proud of his determination and hard work.

There is another all day tennis invitational in two weeks.  I am hopeful to once again add some color to my sun kissed face and watch some great matches.  The good news is that Doug will be there for that one.  The bad news is I still won't be able to gain in my quest to be the least pale.

No comments:

Post a Comment