Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Goalie

One of the hardest things for me to do as a parent is to watch my children play goalie in soccer.  I love that they have the confidence to play that position.  They enjoy the pressure that it brings.  As a Mom, however, I cringe the entire time they are keeper - afraid of an injury, thinking of all of the positive things I can say if a ball gets by them, and hopeful that we have a strong fullback line.

Meg and Cameron do not feel this way.  They play the position with confidence and I think they secretly enjoy the attention the role brings to them.  I am sure that nothing feels better on a soccer field than stopping a goal kick, unless it is scoring one.

Tonight Meg was goalie on her middle school team.  She did well.  She couldn't stop every shot, but made some awesome saves.  Doug has told me over and over that once the offense gets past the defense, it is about a 50-50 chance that the goalie will be able to stop the ball.   One of the secretaries at school had a daughter who also played keeper.  She reminds me that the ball has to get by 10 other players before they can score.  Her daughter was a great goalie, so I will keep telling myself as I sit on the edge of my seat at their games.

No comments:

Post a Comment