Friday, September 27, 2013

Friday Night Lights

I know that many adults in our community love Friday nights in the fall and the excitement that a good football rivalry brings.  There was even a television series entitled "Friday Night Lights" that perfectly describes the love of high school  football.    Tonight was another of those nights as Wawasee had a home football game.  Meg loves going to the games and I feel that one of us should be there as she runs around with her friends.  Cal normally goes as well, but chose to stay at home this week to keep his ankle iced and elevated.  Cameron shares my disdain for the high school game, so he stayed home as well.  I am probably  in the minority, but I cannot stand watching football.

Tonight I sat there, mostly by myself, for the first quarter.  None of the regulars that I normally sit with were there.  Doug was home painting and hanging out with the boys.  Meg's middle school band played the Star Spangled Banner and the fight song before kickoff.  I enjoyed that, but honestly not much else.  The games always seem to drag on forever.  This one had a double digit number of flags thrown that delayed the game even further.

Doug did come for halftime.  He had planned to watch Meg in the halftime show, but we were all misinformed.  The middle school band only watched the high schoolers participate.  Meg didn't mind as she enjoyed hanging out with her friends.  I felt bad, though, as many families including my parents came to watch their children (grandchildren) not participate.  By the end of the evening I was huddled with several of my friends hoping for the cowbells to stop ringing and the final whistle to blow.

The last game is in two weeks.  It is homecoming, so that will make it a little more exciting.  I know that the ceremony will make the game longer, but the students have big plans for that week.  It should add some excitement to it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment