Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lost

Today Brett and I were absolutely lost.  Our internet was out for 24 hours.  As we usually have very little problems with Mediacom and the cable TV was still working, we assumed it was our new router.  After twenty minutes of trying everything we could think of, I decided to call and check.  Sure enough, someone had cut a fiber optic cable and the entire state lost their high speed internet.

It didn't seem that big of a deal to us at first, but as the day drew on Brett and I came to realize how dependent we have become on the internet.  No, we are not using it all day, but when we need to check something or stream a video we are used to be able to do so immediately.  Thus, I had to postpone paying Brett's IU tuition.  Luckily, it was not due until the 10th, so I had some time.  I also could not watch CSI Miami on Hulu as I was folding laundry.  Brett has been writing a story and didn't want to wait until tomorrow to post it.  Thus, he ran up to the library to use their wireless internet.  It is so powerful that he only had to park next to it to get reception.

As the day came to a close Brett and I reflected on our day with no access.  It wasn't life altering.  We both survived.  We did still have our iPhones for emergencies.  Ultimately, we both came to the conclusion that we would much rather have the cable TV go out the next time and leave us the internet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment