Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cameron Takes on a New Personality

Tonight on the way home from Grandma's, Cameron let me know that he was very disappointed that he couldn't play golf today.  He even said, "I suppose you won't even take me, Mom."  I had to laugh to myself when he said this.  I explained to him that I wouldn't be able to take him, his Dad was at soccer and his Grandparents were resting.  He started to say something else, but then I stopped him and reminded him that he had played golf everyday since Saturday and spent the afternoon today with a friend where they went miniature golfing.  He argued that he didn't play Monday until Cal reminded him that he saw him when he was playing with Sam that afternoon.

I don't want to be heartless, but I learned from Cameron's hero that I can't cater to his every whim or we will never get through his teenage years.  I made so many mistakes in parenting before that I vow to not make again.  Thus, I did not drop everything I was doing and run Cam out to play nine.  I also did not cave when he said that he wanted to quit piano.  I would like him to learn that the world cannot revolve around him.  Sometimes the word, "No" will be said.  He doesn't have to like it, but he does have to learn how to deal with it.

I hope it works.  I hope it leads to a better relationship between him and I when he is 14.  I guess I will have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment