Friday, May 10, 2013

You're a Mom

Today I made almost 100 pancakes with my 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade students.  I smell like a griddle and I am completely exhausted, but I think my students really enjoyed it.  I supervise them in the kitchen and am there to give instruction if needed, but the students are required to make their own pancakes.  That freaks some of the students out.  They are afraid of making a mistake or turning it too soon or too late.  I tell them that the worst thing that could happen is that they have to make a new one, but for my high achievers making a mistake is pretty stressful!  I long ago realized that most of my best FACS students are those that come from homes that are single parent, blended or dysfunctional in some manner.  They are used to having to fend for themselves, so they thrive in my classroom of "do it yourself and it's ok if you make a mistake" atmosphere.

My last class of the day is my 5th graders.  After I explained to the group cooking how to coat the pan with cooking spray, turn on the stovetop and when to flip the pancakes, one of my enthusiastic students said to me, "Mrs. Heinisch, how do you know all of this stuff?"  Before I could answer, he chimed in with, "Oh, wait I know. It's because you are a Mom, and Moms and Grandmas know everything!"

I was so proud when he said that!  Of all of the things I have done in my life, being a Mom and wife has been my favorite.  Gabe obviously has a high respect for Moms and I am glad that he holds me in such high esteem.  I know that I work hard to create a homelike atmosphere in my FACS classroom.  So very happy that one of them noticed!

No comments:

Post a Comment