Thursday, May 30, 2013

Field Trips

May is the month of field trips.  Meg asked me today why that is.  I don't have an answer for her.  I know that students attention spans have definitely shorten.  Maybe field trips are just the break they need before they start summer vacation.  Meg has two in the next two school days.  Her sixth grade class is going to Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum tomorrow.  It is one of the big middle school trips as they must travel to Detroit.  Doug offered to chaperon and I know they will really enjoy it (once Meg gets over the shock of getting up at 4:30 a.m. to catch the chartered bus!)  We have been to the Village before and it is a lot of fun.

Meg's second jaunt is a behavior reward trip to Paige's Crossing - a small amusement park with miniature golf and go karts.  My students have talked of nothing else as they have to have zero write ups (excellent behavior) for the year to go, so some students are left behind.  Cameron's class went bowling last week for their reward trip.
 
Brett's AP class went to Chicago for a day last week as a reward for making it through the year in one or more AP or dual credit class.  They visited the Shedd Aquarium and Navy Pier.  Brett had fun!  Cal's class does not have a big field trip.  Maybe the teachers are nervous about taking freshmen anywhere!!  Can't say that I blame them (Ha!), but they can go on the AP trip next year and so far Cal hasn't complained.

Thus, I don't have an answer for Meg, but it does make the end of the school year fly by.  I know that the students all enjoy it, so I will not ask anyone else her question.  Glad that have the opportunities to explore the world outside our community!

No comments:

Post a Comment