Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tutoring

I started tutoring last year in math for several children of friends of mine.  They were struggling and I had time to help.  I also volunteered to help the Algebra students during "Warrior Time" at the high school and with the Pre-Algebra students at the end of the day.  I absolutely loved it and if I could have made money to put away for college I would have continued doing this forever.

This year I was able to secure a position at the school of my youngest two and I also absolutely love it.  Since me working was new to us, I declined all tutoring jobs.  That is until one of Cal's classmates and Cameron's friends brother needed help.  I agreed to take on the challenge and tonight we had another of our math sessions.  He is taking Geometry and I have to admit it is a very challenging subject to tutor.  The student not only has to understand the concepts, but also apply the knowledge that he/she has learned.  Tonight we muddled through.  I hope he does well tomorrow on his test.  I hope I am making a difference.  I have my fingers crossed and nighttime prayers ready.

 Luckily students only have to take Geometry one time in their lifetime!  I wish I could tell them that they will use it later in life, but they realize that they most likely never will.  Sometimes in life we just have to muddle through.  I guess that is the life lesson learned tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment