Monday, April 8, 2013

Math, Who Needs It?

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard Brett utter the words, "Math, who needs it?"  I always find it funny when he says this, because Brett's knowledge of math as a science is deep.  He meets with his Calculus teacher several times a week just to explain the concepts to her and to make sure he is understanding it all.  She tells him that he does, but he still grumbles anytime the subject is mentioned.

As a math teacher, I do realize that AP Calculus probably isn't an important skill to have for someone who wants to be a lawyer.  However, Doug then reminds me that math teaches us to solve problems and that is a life skill we all need.  Tonight I hope Brett at least could see the benefit of having this knowledge while he was helping Cal understand the concepts of Honors Algebra II, teaching him the value of taking notes, and encouraging him to ask the teacher for help when he doesn't understand something.  I know I could see it and I loved listening to them banter back and forth as they were talking math.

Brett found out on his college visit last year that if he passes the Calculus AP Exam with a score of 4 or 5, he will not have to take math in college to graduate with a political science degree.  I hope he does, but I know he will still need his math skills.  Cal is taking dual credit Pre-Calculus next year and will need all of the FaceTime help Brett will give him!


No comments:

Post a Comment