Monday, April 29, 2013

Flexibility

When asked what I think is the best quality that a teacher can have, I answer, "Stucture with a side of flexibility."  Sounds strange, but I can't imagine a classroom without some type of structure - a place for supplies, an outline of classroom expectations, daily lesson plans, seating charts, etc.  Yet, there has to be room for flexibility as well, since the best laid plans at times go awry.

Today was one of those days in my life as a teacher.   We started our day with a two hour delay which changed the time of my classes to 30 minutes from 45.  Thus, I had to change what I was teaching.  The schedule for ISTEP was changed as well, which meant that my 8th graders would not have my class today.  The test was not working correctly on the computers, so the 8th graders had to wait patiently for it to load.  I found out that we cannot overload the wireless system because of testing demands, so I had to change the unit I am teaching to exclude a lot of technology.  Thus, flexibility was the theme of the day.

I am not complaining as I do not mind change.  One of the best parts of teaching is knowing that no two days are alike.  I have found that the best way to handle it all is to remain positive and try to find humor during these situations.  It helps the students relax and handle whatever comes their way.

The schedule is up in the air for tomorrow.  The forecast calls for fog and the state will decide in the morning about testing.  So on days like today I think of the following scene from Shakespeare in Love:  

   Philip Henslowe:  The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent 
                                 disaster.
Hugh Fennyman: So what do we do?
Philip Henslowe: Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.
Philip Henslowe: I don't know. It's a mystery.



No comments:

Post a Comment