Saturday, April 13, 2013

Enjoy the Good Days

Today was a great day for the Heinisch children in the world of sports.  This is not always the case, as we have found in participating in youth sports there are a lot more loses than wins.  So, today I have encouraged them to bask in the glory of their achievements, because all too soon the agony of defeat may well be upon us.

The day started bright and early as Cal and his golf team headed out at 7 a.m. for an early morning tee time.  This would be his first tournament as a high school student and I know he was feeling a lot of pressure.  The coach was smart enough to put him on the JV team for this one.  None of us were able to attend the invitational, but we talked of him all day, especially when it was sleeting and hailing here.  Golf is challenging to play when the temperature is below 45 degrees.

Once Doug made sure Cal was on the bus, he and Meg got ready for their first soccer game of the spring season.  Because she is twelve, Meg moved up to the big field.  She was a little nervous having to play against 8th grade boys, but she did very well.  Most of her team is young, but the two 8th graders on her team were a big help and very supportive of the younger players.  They were able to win 7-2 despite the wind, rain and cold.  I have to admit that I watched the game from the heated seats of our van.  The Heinisch children enjoy calling me a wimp, and I will not disagree when it comes to cold weather.

Cam ran out onto his soccer field as Meg headed to the van.  Her AAU basketball team had a shoot out 45 minutes away and we wanted to see if she could catch part of the first game.  I was kept abreast of the happenings of Cameron's team by Doug and my parents.  Cameron was happy to record a win, and even happier to report that he scored a penalty kick that put his team in the lead.

Meg made it to her game in time to play the second half.  It was their first win of the season as well, so she was glad that she was able to participate.  The next two games did not go in their favor, but she was thrilled to have a new shootout shirt to add to her wardrobe with her name and number on the back.  It was fun for me to watch the girls eat lunch together, giggle and enjoy the day.

It was late into the afternoon by the time we heard from Cal.  As I watched him walk off of the bus with two medals around his neck, I couldn't help but feeling a sense of pride.  He is not much for talking, but was quite pleased to tell me that his JV team won the invitational and he placed 4th out of 54 golfers.

Although you may not realize it by this post, once you get to know me, you soon realize that I am not a "soccer mom."  My children play sports because they love it, never to please me or Doug.  I am the one sitting in the stands nervous for all, feeling sad for the losers and steering clear of the fanatics.  Today, however, I do have to say I am extremely proud of their sports achievements.  It is not because they won, but because they worked hard, set goals and reached them.  Next Saturday may be completely different as there will be new games and invitationals.  Thus, today we will celebrate.  Tomorrow will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment