Saturday, April 6, 2013

An Off Night

Did you ever have a night that was just off?  Nothing seems to go right, and after awhile it actually becomes funny.  That was Meg's and my experience tonight at 5 p.m. mass.  To begin with, the altar server did not show up.  We would have offered for Meg to fill in, but we didn't realize it until a man in his 50's got up to serve.  As most of our altar servers are between 10 and 16 and it was a little different, but very nice of him to pitch in.

Mass continued, and Meg and I noticed that the organ music was different than the song we were singing.  After that we heard chime music playing while Father was reading a prayer.  At first we thought it was the organ, but when it happened a second time we realized that someone had not listened to the pre-mass announcements asking us to please turn off all cell phones.

We did our best to remain focused on the homily and the preparation for communion.  However, a baby kept screaming, and its Grandmother followed up every cry with a loud "Shhhh!"  At that point I started looking around for the Candid Camera crew making sure to never look at Meg or I know we both would have laughed.  We walked to the van after mass and Meg said to me, "I am glad we came to 5 p.m. mass.  It was the funniest and strangest mass I have ever attended!"

No comments:

Post a Comment