Friday, March 22, 2013

Happy 12th Birthday Meg



Twelve years ago today was one the happiest, yet scariest days of my life.  Meg came into this world in dramatic fashion with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck twice, not breathing.  I had been having excruciating headaches the last two weeks of my pregnancy, and my blood pressure was on the high side.  Because of this and the fact that Cal was born very quickly after I started labor, my OB decided to induce me six days before my due date.  I was nervous and asked him about the possibility of having a C-section.  I had Brett and Cal naturally and wanted very much to avoid surgery.  My doctor smiled and said, "Don't worry.  Plan on having this one naturally as well."

I was induced the next morning bright and early.  I noticed the contractions were strong and hard from the start, but thought that was normal.  The nurse came in to check me after 20 minutes or so.  She smiled and asked me a couple of questions relating to pain.  She left the room and within seconds was back with several other nurses, a doctor and an IV pole.  I knew that wasn't normal.  Meg was not thriving and my blood pressure was through the roof.  In a short period of time I was being
prepped for emergency surgery.

Doug wasn't allowed to be with me doing the c-section.  There wasn't time for a epidermal.  I started to panic as they put the mask on me and kept fighting the nurse.  I remember her telling me that the baby needed the oxygen, but it wasn't registering.  I was scared.  The last thing I heard was the anesthesiologist say, "Don't worry.  I'll take care of it" (and I was out.)

I awoke freezing cold.  I had had my gall bladder removed a year earlier, but that surgery did not prepare me for the pain of a c-section.  I did not say anything in the recovery room about the baby and the nurses did not say anything to me.  My heart sank as I was sure that the baby didn't make it.  I was wheeled back to my room and was so excited to see Doug holding a small little bundle.  I immediately asked, "What did we have?"  He obviously said, "A girl!"  The nurses couldn't believe
that I hadn't asked them, but the truth is if Meg hadn't made it I wanted Doug to tell me.

Meg has been a wonderful addition to our lives - a free spirit, full of life.  She is the animal loving, Lego building, athletic, social butterfly, Tom Boy Heinisch.  Neither Doug and I ever thought we would have a girl.  It has changed the dynamics of our household and I love that!  I can still picture Brett running around the room at my parents screaming, "I have a sister.  I have a sister!"  Meg and I will have many dramatic days in our bond as Mother and Daughter, but I hope none as scary as March 22, 2001!!  Today I take pause and remain ever thankful for all who helped bring her into the world!


5 comments:

  1. That had to have been scary...and all along you knew that something was just not right. And then your gift...Meg...and she sounds like she has blessed your family in her own unique way. So glad you have a birthday celebration today. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a scary, yet joy filled story. I am so glad that you have had your daughter to enrich your life. Celebrate this day!
    http://show--nottell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A scary delivery with a blessed end. Congrats to your whole family and happy birthday to Meg. I'm sure she feels special today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing prepares us for childbirth or raising them! Isn't it amazing how we remember details of days that scare us? Sound like Meg has a happy loving family to support her growing up as a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a scary situation, I'm so glad you were in a place you both could get help.

    ReplyDelete