Friday, March 8, 2013

Tradition



We started our unit on families in my middle school FACS classes this week.  When I asked the students the question "What Makes a Family?", many words were written on the smart board.  One group boldly walked up and in big blue letters wrote - TRADITION.  They are not the first group to have done this, but I never grow tired of watching my students' faces light up talking about traditions their families have and how important they are to them.

Our family too is filled with many traditions - opening God Parent gifts on Christmas Eve, confetti fights at Grandma Jane's on New Year's Eve, etc.  This November I thoroughly enjoyed watching Doug pass on one of his favorite family tradition to his children - The Heinisch Thanksgiving Flag Football Game!  The enthusiasm and seriousness of the game is shown best in the photo above.  "Official jerseys must be worn" - so my Dad pulled out his basketball jersey of years ago and suited up to play as well.  I was guardian of the rules and split up the teams.  My Dad, Cal and Cameron were positive they were going to trounce the "weaker" Heinisch team of Doug, Brett and Meg.  They had made up plays, held a practice session, argued about blown calls, but never counted on the most reluctant member of the group to be the star.  Brett caught
the winning touchdown and the victory celebration began!!

Talk at the dinner table was plenty.  The enthusiasm for the tradition was high.  A great day was had by all.  I know one day that they will start their own family traditions.  I realize that they may not continue to bake Christmas cookies on Christmas Eve, but I hope they take fond memories of those days with them.

4 comments:

  1. I always watch family football games in awe, they look like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree traditions makes a family. My own family has many traditions both for holidays, unfortunately it also includes getting cards from me late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family has never been big on traditions. Interestingly, I am some one who longs for them. Not sure where I got the tradition gene, when no one else in my family seems to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love our family traditions. My daughter, though, is the real stickler. She will definitely let us know if we vary from one!

    ReplyDelete