Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pride & Prejudice

I have a guilty pleasure that no one outside of our home knows about.  The truth is that while I am tackling a big cleaning project I watch the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice!  It is six hours of enjoyment that I carry with me from room to room on my daughter's portable DVD.  I don't know if I have watched the series or read the book more, but I never grow tired of the love story unfolding between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth

My husband started my Jane Austen obsession when he gave me a copy of her novel, Sense and Sensibility.  Since then I have read everything written by Jane Austen and have seen several movies adapted from her books.  Although I have enjoyed them all, none holds a candle to the story that is told from the homes of Longbourn, Netherfield Park and Pemberley.  The books were written over two hundred years ago, but the characters still seem real today.  Everyone knows a proud man, stubborn young woman, an incurable flirt, a person of little sense, a long winded clergyman, etc.  My daughter happened upon me during one of my cleaning sessions and even she was drawn into the series. When it wrapped up, she looked at me and said,  "I know who the mother reminds me of!  It's that woman at our church!"

The writing is wonderful and the characters are fascinating.  That, however, is not why I continue my fifteen year obsession with her novels.  Ultimately, if the truth be told, it is the happy ending that always leads me back to Jane Austen.  I will leave the grief and sadness that encompasses Wuthering Heights and A Portrait of a Lady for others to read.

6 comments:

  1. Okay. I have never read a Jane Austen novel, but after reading this, I believe I am going to have to! When Terri returns, you to need to compare notes! Thanks for inspiring me to give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mrs. C.I've got to add one to my list of books I need to read. I think 6 hours might be enough to get my house clean, maybe I should get the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am drawn to read her books. Thank you Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true!!! I like the endings too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read PRIDE AND PREJUDICE for the first time a few years ago. I loved it and find myself drawn back to it from time to time. I have a character who LOVES Jane Austen, so I find her words creeping up in my fiction.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a youtube web series you may enjoy, or at least may be worth trying out, called The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Its a modernized version, with Elizabeth becoming a grad student with a perfect older sister and a younger one who can't seem to get her life together. Its almost at its conclusion, but its woth watching. For an amature production I'm getting a lot of pleasure out of it.

    ReplyDelete