Saturday, March 23, 2013

Golf Season

High school golf season is upon us and Cal has joined this year's team.  The boys practiced today even though it is 40 degrees and most courses are closed.  They must have ten practices in before the first match and it has been challenging to do this Spring.  One day was a putting clinic in the carpeted alcove at the high school.  Another practice was a rules meeting.  The boys have had a good team over the years, so I believe they will still be ready even with the lack of practice.  I am excited for Cal to join this group.  Golf was important to my family as I was growing up.  My own girls high school golf team finished sixth in the state my junior year and our number one golfer from way back then also has a freshmen joining this year's high school team.  Last year Cal and Jeffrey led the middle school team to a second place finish in the conference tournament with Cal taking 2nd place individual honors and Jeffrey third.

Even with this said, I do not put pressure on my children to compete.  I do not live vicariously through my them.  I realize that their golf team may never reach the state competition.  No, the real reason I am happy for golf season to begin is that we can have a break from basketball for awhile.  It is not the coaches, the players or even the wins or loses that make youth basketball unbearable to watch.  It is the parents.  The ones who start yelling at the officials in the pee wee league, who then continue in middle school by yelling at the coaches and follow up in the high school years by yelling at the players.  During my time in the bleachers I have heard a parent scream, "You Suck!" at players.  I have heard countless complaints about the coach, playing time, officials, the offense, the defense, and even the cheerleaders.  Letters have even been written to the editor asking for the coach to be fired.  With all of this, however, I believe my jaw dropped the most this year when I saw a mother coaching her son from the stands while he was actually watching her.  I can't even imagine Cal's reaction if I did that.  

Early in the season the JV coach told me to get thicker skin as it gets worse as the boys get older (I know he said it in jest as he realizes that will never happen.)  My husband tells me that this takes place at all schools (I know he is right.)  The boys say that all of this negativity does not bother them.  I cannot tell if it does.  I would love to stand up and yell, "Hey, they are only 14" or "Seriously, you were that great when you were in high school."  I never will.  I am not someone who likes to argue.  I just wish that one time I could load all of the players up in my van and take them to the obnoxious fans' places of employment.  I would love to hear them yell directions, obscenities, and all of the negative comments they hear at "fans" while they are trying to do their best.  The thought of that gets me through the game with a smile on my face.  So if you see me sitting at the top of the bleachers with my headphones on or hanging out with the youngest of fans who are only there to watch the big kids they idolize, I hope you realize why.  I am not a snob.  Just a mom who can't stand to listen to the adults who take the fun out of the game.

So yes, golf season is here and I am glad.  Parents have to stay 50 feet away from the players.  Although the sport is not perfect, and I am sure there are fans that complain in high school golf as well, so far I have never heard anyone yell, "Get him out!" when a player misses a putt.

2 comments:

  1. This post resonates with me a lot. My step-brother is a high school basketball coach and has had some interesting parents along the way. I cannot believe how immature and rude some people can act...don't they realize that their children are seeing this and learning some awful behaviors? It sounds like the golf season will be a good break for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. My daughter started high school soccer this year, and the parents there are all too similar to the ones in your basketball stands. I want to remind them that it is just a game and they are still kids. Fortunately, most of the parents of our team are less intense than the opposing teams. I suppose we learn to chill with as many losses as we've had the past few years. We've learned to look for any improvement, no matter the score.

    ReplyDelete